SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 2

From:
David Goldblatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 16:32:45 -0400
>In the film _The Big Sleep_ Boragt's Philip Marlow pushes up his brim and dons
>glasses to act like an ignorant but pushey (maybe also self-important, so an
>easier mark for inaccurately labeled merchandise) customer, but the bookstore
>he plays this part in supposedly sells  RARE  books, not pornography.  While I
>cannot cite the novel from my own reading, a commentary notes that in the novel
>it is a pornographic bookstore that Marlow enters.  Ah, the cleanliness of the
>Production Code protected works!
>
>Kendall D'Andrade
>
>----
>To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
>in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

Wait a minute...As I recall that "rare" book store in the movie (as well as
the novel) was just a front for pornographic books.  The difference was
that in the novel it was explicit, in the movie only implicit but in my
view quite clear.  Recall that Bacall's sister was involved in the outfit
that drugged her and took pictures of her in that dank little cottage that
gets visited and revisited by Bogart.  And remember that camera!  A little
imagination could have gotten you around codes in those days.

David Goldblatt