SCREEN-L Archives

October 1998, Week 4

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 15:54:21 +0100
As for trailers instructing the viewer not to see the film, I draw a blank, but
two immediate examples come to mind of specially made trailers consisting of
footage which does not appear in the completed film.  Firstly, "Psycho" - a
five-minute trailer in which Hitchcock wanders round the Bates Motel set and
delivers a monologue.  Secondly "Godzilla" (1998) - one of the trailers depicts
a teacher showing some schoolkids round a museum with a dinosaur skeleton, then
Godzilla comes along and smashes it up.  Whether this sequence was intended to
go in the finished film and was subsequently cut I don't know - another trailer
shows a man fishing in New York harbour and catching rather more than he
bargained for, and this scene is in the actual film.

The nearest I can do to a "don't see this film" is a trailer for a 1970s
martial arts film, "Hap Ki Do" (goodness knows where it came from, but I have
it in my projection box as a four-track mag test film).  It is about a variant
of kung-fu practised by women - it opens with a stentorian commentary: "DO NOT
let your girlfriend see THIS film.  In case you're with her now, we're only
going to show a few VERY MILD scenes from this picture".  We then see some
pretty agressive females chopping up bricks and telephone directories with
their bare hands, kicking in walls and various other destructive pastimes.  The
trailer finishes with an intertitle: "WARNING: DO NOT LET YOUR GIRLFRIEND SEE
THIS FILM.  THE PRODUCERS ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF
IGNORING THIS ADVICE."

L.
__________________________________
Leo Enticknap