SCREEN-L Archives

October 1998, Week 4

From:
Eric Freedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 13:34:21 -0500
The books I am using for the undergrad horror course I am teaching at the
moment are:

Rhona Berenstein.  Attack of the Leading Ladies: Gender, Sexuality and
Spectatorship in Classic Horror Cinema.

Carol Clover.  Men, Women and Chainsaws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film.

David Skal, The Monster Show: A Cultural History of Horror (out of print).

Other useful books/essays include:

Barbara Creed. The Monstrous Feminine: Film, Feminism, Psychoanalysis.

Vera Dika. Games of Terror.

Barry Keith Grant, ed. The Dread of Difference: Gender and the Horror Film.

Barry Keith Grant, ed.  Planks of Reason: Essays on the Horror Film.

Gregory Waller, ed.  American Horrors: Essays on the Modern American Horror
Film.

Robin Wood, "An Introduction to the American Horror Film"

Margaret Tarratt, "Monsters from the Id"

The Clover book has been the only of these texts that I have had to walk my
students through; though Creed's book is also rather dense for undergrads.

Eric Freedman
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication
Florida Atlantic University