SCREEN-L Archives

October 1997, Week 1

From:
Murray Pomerance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 12:40:46 -0400
My fascination with this thread has little to do with *the fact that*
various "versions" of the ER episode in question were acted out.  Much,
of course, can be said about this, including the observation that the
episode perhaps brings to new light and awareness the fact that these
actors are in fact actors, and can in fact reproduce performances much as
actors typically do.  Indeed, when they do tapings they must rehearse and
so there is reproduction of performance there.  And so on, bla bla.

But I'm really struck by the need of many people here to have some kind
of video access to the live show that is now, of course, gone.

There is no video access.

What you get video access to is something else altogether.  Those of us
who grew up watching tv in the 1950s understand, I think, how one can
absorb and live with NOT having seen this show the other night, if indeed
we didn't see it, because all shows were once-off and you either saw them
or didn't.  So these letters and questions, for me, raise generational
issues as well as technological ones, and I continue to find this
fascinating.

Murray Pomerance
Toronto

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite