SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
Bert Deivert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 1994 16:56:39 GMT
Ever since I let my students out on the Internet they have come up with a
number of quotes from places like Screen-L and other discussion lists as
well as published reviews in Postmodern Culture and Usenet groups. They
want to use these various sources in their term papers and I have given
them guidelines about what I want: notify and be approved by the person you
quote - via e-mail, if possible. Give date, usenet or discussion group,
subject, and INTERNET as source.

I was wondering what the practice in other departments is concerning this.
Maybe others won't even accept this. I have had sceptical colleagues (in
literature) question the "scientific" validity, but this is published
material --- by right of its publication on a mass media format - Internet,
and therefore I consider it a valid source. I do demand that students make
hard copies of the material for their opponents to verify when they present
the paper.

Any comments on these and other related matters would be very interesting
now that our students are surfing as much or more than we are!

Hopefully we will have a student film discussion listserver going here for
our few film students a little later in the Fall and would like to
collaborate with other institutions. I will send more info when it is
ready. The computer support hopes to get it done soon.

Cheers,
Bert

*  Bert Deivert   Film Studies      University of Karlstad         *
*  E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Box 9501    S-650 09 Karlstad  *
*                                   SWEDEN                         *