SCREEN-L Archives

October 1997, Week 2

From:
Murray Pomerance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:50:50 -0400
                B a n g  B a n g , S h o o t  S h o o t !

       F  I  L  M  ,  T  E  L  E  V  I  S  I  O  N  ,  G  U  N  S

                                  **

   The Media Studies Working Group announces an international conference:

           BANG BANG, SHOOT SHOOT! -- FILM, TELEVISION, GUNS
                Saturday and Sunday, May 16-17, 1998
               Ryerson Polytechnic University, Toronto
         (Conference Co-chairs: Murray Pomerance, John Sakeris)

                                 with
       LESLIE A. FIEDLER (State University of New York at Buffalo)
         GEORGE GERBNER (The Annenberg School of Communication)

                                  **

We are pleased to consider proposals for papers on any aspect of guns and
shooting as displayed in, characteristic of, metaphors for, or otherwise
significantly related to, film and television.  Possible areas of interest
include but are by no means limited to: the history or character of gun
genres | gun imagery and authority | film and/or television violence |
guns and gender | guns and Capital | guns, industry, socialization | war
guns | guns and borders | media as (big) guns | alien guns | gunning-for
and bounty hunting in popular cultural narrative | guns in non-western
culture | weaponry and character | explosion and dramatic structure | guns
of the future, and so on.  Tarantino, Ford, film noir, Woo, Siegel,
Fuller, GUNSMOKE, Coppola, GUN CRAZY, Ferrara, THELMA & LOUISE, James T.
Kirk and descendants, 007, Scorsese, BEAST WARS, Eastwood . . . and
others.

Papers may be framed in either contemporary or historical purview, from a
range of academic disciplines, utilizing a variety of theoretical and
critical approaches.

Selected papers from the conference will be published in book form afterward.

Proposals for (a) single papers, or (b) preconstituted panels must arrive
before 6:00 p.m. Toronto time, Monday December 8.  Proposals include (1) a
brief autobiographical statement, (2) an outline of the material to be
presented, not to exceed 150 words, and (3) a title for the paper.

PROPOSALS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE BY FAX.  Mail proposals to Murray Pomerance,
Department of Sociology, Ryerson Polytechnic University, 350 Victoria
Street, Toronto ON M5B 2K3 or preferably email directly to

                              **

          Notification will be before January 15, 1998.

         Particulars of the conference will be posted at

             http://www.ryerson.ca/mgroup/shoot.html

                              **