SCREEN-L Archives

December 1995, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 08:50:28 -0600
Irene Upshur wonders:
"Why did the producers and/or director of TOY STORY go to such visual lengths
to make sure that the evil/dark "other" kid -- Sid--was depicted as being
poor????"

That's a good question.  I can think of many answers involved, but there might
be something more authoritative in a rather glitzy hardback book on the making
of TOY STORY (it has a "holographic" cover) that I've seen at Barnes & Noble.
I only glanced at the book, but noted that it did discuss planning and changes
of various characters.  The "good" boy, Andy, for example, was originally
supposed to look much more nerdy than in the final film.  I didn't notice
discussion of Sid, but I was in a rush when I glanced at it.

Such "answers,"
 though, still won't settle the age-old problem of intention and reception.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)