SCREEN-L Archives

December 2006, Week 1

From:
James Steffen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 10:37:55 -0500
Dear Scott

Some of these films you mention (see below) have in fact been released
on video in the past, though I can't vouch for the quality of the
editions. KUHLE WAMPE, for instance, was released in the UK in a nice
subtitled edition which I ordered for our library.

Your best bet would be to look in OCLC's WorldCat to check library
holdings across the country and use that information to place
interlibrary loan requests through your university's ILL office. These
days many university libraries are willing to loan out their video
collection, but the policies vary greatly from school to school.
There's no guarantee that you'll receive every title you request. There
are two ways to access WorldCat: the free www.worldcat.org interface or
through the licensed portal that your university's library no doubt
carries. I believe that in some cases you can get more detailed
bibliographic information through the latter.

I've used this method to see a number of long out-of-print videos
unobtainable through other means.

At the same time, there is something to be said for viewing an actual
35mm archival print. For the purpose of analysis, the print can reveal
all sorts of critical details that you'd loose on some old, smeary VHS
transfer--plus it gives a better representation the film as an
aesthetic object.

Best regards,
James Steffen

--