SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 1

From:
"AMB,FIENNES" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 1995 08:07:00 PDT
This  happens  twice in  A  Place  In  The  Sun  which  I  viewed  yesterday
on  Bravo   w/my   sister. It  happens  initially  when  Clift  and  Taylor
board   her speedboat  and the news  is  on the  radio  on the boat's   dock
you  hear  the  newsreporter  saying  the  body  of  a   woman  has  been
found  but  the  roar  of  the  boat  silences  any  further ideniftication
of the  suspect.Then  later  when  Taylor  and Clift  are  caught  speeding
in  her car and she is pulled  over,  the  radio  in her car is on  and
the reporter is  giving  specifics  of  the  suspect(which is  Clift)
but  any  distinguishing  characteristics  are  removed   by  the officer
gently warning Taylor  about her speeding. Clift  is  keeping  a low
profile  and is attempting  to listen to the broadcast  w/o calling
attention to  himself.
In  both  instances I don't  think it is  for suspense; for  me, its the
guilt  that insteeps  Clift  and his  fear  of  his  "other"life
becoming  known  to the  woman  he really  loves,especially in
light  of the fact  that he is eventually  wrongly  accused  of the
felonious drowning  of the woman ;is   wrongly   convicted,sentenced
to death  in the electric   chair and dies   for it.A Place  is  based
on  Dreiser's An  American Tragedy  which itselfs is based  on an actualevent
from   1928-1929.Hope this helps!