I've just finished reading a newish (1993) book that I think you should
be aware of. I found it very interesting and quite worthwhile.
BRINK OF REALITY : New Canadian Documentary Film And Video
Peter Steven, 1993, Between The Lines, Toronto.
ISBN 0-921284-69-1 (bound) ISBN 0-921284-68-3 (pbk)
The book is divided into two parts, Part One has chapters describing the
documentary and Part Two has interviews with Film and Video Producers.
1. The look, sound and feel of the New Documentary.
2. The changing face of Documentary 1960-1980.
3. Producing in the Canadian Context.
4. The elements of Documentary Distribution.
5. Audiences: The Ideal and the Real.
6. Interviews with Film and Video Producers
Yvan Patry and Daniele Lacourse
Claire Preito and Roger McTair
7. Anatomy of the New Documentary: A Canadian Avant-Garde
It also has an interesting bibliography and filmography. Peter Steven
has been deeply involved with the documentary business for many years
and his description of the industry is right on target. Its worthwhile
Between The Lines
394 Euclid Ave, Suite 203
M6G 2S9, Canada
Mark Ritchie | Tel: (519) 888-4070
Media Librarian | Fax: (519) 888-6197
Audio-Visual Centre |
University of Waterloo | Internet: [log in to unmask]
"I was just out of college and still believed in classifications and
categories" - Jean Renoir