SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 1

From:
"Randy A. Riddle" <"Randy A.Riddle"@infi.net>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 1995 16:05:29 +0000
>. . . i still want to know what, in principle, is lost when we
>watch a good laser disc issue of a film on a large screen in a darkened room

I have yet to see a laserdisc or video projection system that comes
close to a good, clean 16mm print for color clarity and detail.
"Streetcar Named Desire" comes to mind.  After seeing that film only
on video (on all sizes of TV screens and a projection system) for
years, the sets look like a real chaotic mess.  When I saw a 16mm print, I was
able to see the deliberate inclusion of props in the bric-a-brac of
the New Orleans apartment.  It certainly didn't change my reading of
the film, but did provide a unique experience that made the film seem
like more of a film, rather than a filmed play and gave me (the
viewer) a more well-rounded picture of the characters through seeing
the objects in their home.

Watching a great film on a video projection system for me, at least,
is like looking at a pixilated Ansel Adams photograph through a wire
mesh screen door.

With all the current manufacturing technology around, there's got to
be a way to decrease the cost of striking 16mm prints to make them
more widely available.  Coming up with a standard for stereo sound
that could be used on current mono and future stereo projectors would
help too.

--Randy A. Riddle -- [log in to unmask] -- NewtonMail:[log in to unmask]
--http://www.infi.net/~rriddle -- Aspiring Documentary Filmmaker,
--sometimes writer for "The Front Page", and general all around squeaky wheel.
--Cool Cat Daddy Productions  --Winston-Salem, NC, -- (910) 777-0675