SCREEN-L Archives

June 2021, Week 4

From:
Maria San Filippo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 09:31:34 -0400
*apologies for cross-posting*

Dear Colleagues,

It is our pleasure to announce the publication of our Summer 2021 issue
(19.2), featuring these articles:

Untouchable: ‘Disabling’ Cinema’s Contract on Contact in *The Diving Bell
and the Butterfly*

*Gregory Brophy *

The Dubious Logic of Sacrifice: Motherhood, Crisis, and Social Reproduction
in *Advantageous* (2015)

*Linda Ai-Yun Liu*

‘I Am (Not) Major’: Anti-fan Memes of Paramount Pictures’ *Ghost in the
Shell* Marketing Campaign

*James Rendell*

The End of Intimate Politics in Yorgos Lanthimos’ *The Lobster*

*Hannah Stark & Timothy Laurie*

‘Flat-Out’ Formalism: *Strong Island* as Trans-of-Color Critique

*Tory Jeffay*

Awarded 2020 SCMS Queer and Trans Caucus Chris Holmlund Graduate Student
Writing Prize

Please see the Table of Contents for article abstracts as well as book
reviews by Geetha Ramanathan, Lauren Wilks, and Ervin Pavleković:
https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rfts20/current

With congratulations to Tory Jeffay for her Holmlund Prize-winning essay
and thanks to our co-sponsors the SCMS Queer and Trans Caucus, we're
pleased to announce that the 2021 award cycle is underway, with submissions
due October 1; see the CFP (link below) and please circulate to any
graduate students working in queer/trans media studies.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Kyqau0_L-6FmqN5bRczVi_0fyOP0ZqsE9k-3P4l28bs/edit?usp=sharing

We’re also excited to announce the following recent content featured on our
blog:

·     ‘Now Is the Time of Monsters’: A Roundtable on Contemporary Horror

·      Carl Sweeney reviews BFI Film Classics’ *Near Dark* and interviews
author Stacey Abbott

·      Kristen Warner & James Rendell discuss the politics of casting and
fandom

·      UNTOUCHABLE, a video essay by Gregory Brophy

·       James Fenwick on Stanley Kubrick and #MeToo

·       Noah Isenberg & Isabelle Freda discuss *Billy Wilder on Assignment*

·       Diane Negra & Hamilton Carroll discuss *Shadow of a Doubt*

·       Katy Parry on public service and ‘post-militariness’ in BBC’s
*Bodyguard
*

·       Ruggero Eugeni reviews Warren Buckland’s *Narrative and Narration *

Please bookmark our URL https://nrftsjournal.org/, and we welcome your
pitches/proposals for blog pieces at [log in to unmask]

For latest news and promotions, please follow us on Twitter @NRFTSJournal
<https://twitter.com/NRFTSJournal> and Instagram @nrftsjournal
<https://www.instagram.com/nrftsjournal/>. We welcome submissions through
our website <https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rfts20/current>, where guidelines
for authors can be found.

Kind regards,

Maria San Filippo

Editor

*New Review of Film and Television Studies *

--

*NRFTS* Blog <https://nrftsjournal.org/>
* <http://www.mariasanfilippo.net>[image: https://twitter.com/cinemariasf]
<https://twitter.com/NRFTSJournal>
<https://www.instagram.com/nrftsjournal/>*

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://screenlex.org