SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 3

From:
Michael Sime <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 13:16:45 -0400
>Isn't it fascinating that the U.S. film industry is one of the most
>unionized businesses in the (democratic) world *and* is by far the most
>successful film industry (at least when it comes to quantity, I'm really
>not sure about quality).
>
>This ought to be a really hard nut to crack for those interested in union
>bashing.

Obviously my friend Ulf, YOU haven't been approached by big teamster
types whilst shooting on the streets of Manhattan. They walk right thru
the set like they own it, and tell the producer/director/production
manager that YOU GOTTA hire some of his guys to drive the equipment
trucks, or someother nonsence....

Or maybe been at the Javitz convention center trying to do your set
up,when the 'house' guy comes by ans sez that YOU GOTTA have a HOUSE
electrician plug in yer lights and monitors...ANOTHER one to hook up your
gear, and yet ANOTHER one to push the gear around...funny how they think
I need THREE other people to do the job that I did myself....

Now I try real hard to not have producers push me around, but I also like
the abiulity to take I job that I want at $250 instead of $450, to waive
a moronic meal penatity because we ate lunch at 6 & 1/2 hours instead of
6, and maybe give them a hour of OT. I'd rather make friends with the
producer and have them hire me again than nickel & dime them and leave a
rotten taste in their mouth after the job.

Thank the production gods that NY has a thriving independent community,
and there is as much non-union work as there is union work. Unions have
their place, and part of it IS in the film & video community, but their
confrontational attitude pisses off too many people, and does more harm
than good. (anyone remember the boycott of the early 90's?)

There is nothing worse than when you're doing your job and some STRANGER
confronts you and says YOU GOTTA....I'd share my resoponse with you here,
and take advantage of Jeremy's absence...aw well...my responce to "YOU
GOTTA" is a simple "no I don't", and if they persist, a simply understood
NY response, loosley translated as "Fornicate thou!"

ok, enough ranting...

Mike

Mike Sime            <[log in to unmask]>
Video Schmideo!      <[log in to unmask]>
    <http://www.intac.com/~frelancr>
It's not the time it takes to take the takes,
it's the time it takes BETWEEN the takes,
that takes the time to take the takes.