SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 1

From:
Gene Stavis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 1995 18:47:57 -0700
----------------------------- Begin Original Text
-----------------------------

Also, an unrelated (?) question: one of my screenwriting students wants to
know
what you call that black dot at the end of some Charlie Chaplin (and other)
films.
----------------------------- End Original Text -----------------------------

I presume you are referring to the "black dot" (actually, two) which appear
at the top right of the image at the end of reels. If so, these are known as
"cue marks" -- signals to the film projectionist that the reel is about to
end and the second projector must be started up to ensure a smooth and
transparent "changeover".

At the first dot, the second projector's motor must be started so that the
second projector is "up to speed" when the second dot appears -- at which
point the lamp on projector one is shuttered and the lamp on projector two is
unshuttered. Done properly, the audience doesn't notice that projectors have
been changed.

In the silent days, cue-marks appeared at the end of every ten-minute reel.
Later, the marks appeared at the end of 20-minute reels. Today, with modern
platter systems, the need for such marks have virtually  disappeared.

Gene Stavis, School of Visual Arts - NYC