SCREEN-L Archives

November 2010, Week 1

From:
Ken Mogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2010 01:37:32 +1100
Darrell Newton, as nobody else (e.g., Mike Frank) has picked you up on
this, it falls to me!  I hope I'm not missing a joke!

You wrote:
> As for my two cents, there was some criticism over auteur Hitchcock's treatment of actress Kim Novak after her "illicit" romance with Sammy Davis, Jr. became public. Despite being considered the consummate pro, and having worked with Novak in Vertigo (1958), Hitchcock banned her from his next project, From Amongst the Dead.

Hmm.  Hitchcock's VERTIGO was adapted from the Boileau & Narcejac novel
'D'entre les morts'/'Among the Dead'.  Hitchcock then moved from
Paramount to Metro where his first project was going to be THE WRECK OF
THE MARY DEARE but which he and Ernest Lehman abandoned (the film was
later  made by Michael Anderson) in favour of something that Hitchcock
had been mulling over for several years and whose final title was  NORTH
BY NORTHWEST.

(Hitchcock had rashly told James Stewart, co-star of VERTIGO, that he
would also be the star of the NxNW film.  But as the script with Lehman
developed, that project quickly became an obvious vehicle for Cary
Grant.   Reportedly, Hitchcock simply stalled until Stewart  was tied up
on BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE, then was able to politely tell him, 'Sorry,
Jimmy, but we had to get Cary instead!')

- KM
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~muffin/news-home_c.html