SCREEN-L Archives

November 1997, Week 3

From:
Nick Chapman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 23:06:35 -0500
I have the opportunity to pick up a number of movies that I am interested
in on laser disc.  My question is: how do you find out about the quality of
the disc / transfer, particularly when there are competing versions.  For
instance, there is an old Criterion Singing in the Rain, but I seem to
recall they remastered the movie fairly recently - should I wait for a disc
of the re-release?  Etc.

Is there are a good guide or source of reviews on the quality of particular
laserdiscs?

   Nick Chapman [log in to unmask]   http://www.umich.edu/~nwc
   Program in American Culture, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI
48109-1027      USA

   There can, of course, be no apolitical scholarship.  -- Chandra Talpade
Mohanty