SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 3

From:
David Desser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 15:50:02 CST
>Don't forget that Woody Allen has credited both Buster Keaton and Bob Hope
>(!) as his primary influences in performances. The Hope idea sounds peculiar
>until you look at Hope's work in the late '30's, '40's and fifties. An
>amazing influence.
>
>Gene Stavis, School of Visual Arts - NYC

I must echo Gene Stavis vis a vis Allen and Bob Hope.  I feel that this is
a major lacunae in my section on Allen in AMERICAN-JEWISH FILMMAKERS.  I
certainly mention Keaton, Chaplin, Bergman (!), Fellini, Chekhov, Ibsen,
the Marx Bros.et. al., but Allen himself has acclaimed Bob Hope, and a
recent viewing of CASANOVA'S BIG NIGHT (1954; the film is absolutely
hysterical, by the way!) was a revelation in terms of understanding the
Allen persona, especially in films like SLEEPER and LOVE AND DEATH (which
are probably Allen's most purely funny).

DD

David Desser,UIUC Cinema Studies
2109 FLB/707 S. Mathews, Urbana, IL  61801
217/244-2705