SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

From:
"Tori A. Mazur" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1993 10:33:16 -0400
        I may not be the best person to give my opinion regarding tv shows
because I think as a whole, todays programs SUCK! But I will let you in on
the few that I do enjoy. Roseanne is a show not to be missed, if for nothing
other than the fact that she has worked so hard to put out what she wants. She's
 gone from her raunchy comedy to delivering a program that is probably more
realistic than people want from a show. I remember being in high school and the
girls in my class hated that show because it was "unrealistic"- to them, the
"white bread" of America, perhaps it was, but for many people who are from
lower income families, it gave that audience someone to relate to, but then this
 is what Jim Fowles says people use television for in his book, "why viewers
watch" that we are using in our media class.
        Another show that is worthy of sitting on your ass for is Quantum Leap.
I personally like this show because I like to observe, and learn about the way
our society was in the past, and even though this show is obviously just some-
one's interpretation  and presentation of events, which are very often merely
fiction, it is often very insightful. I wish more programs would let us look
into the lives of others. What are we here for if not to learn about and try
to understand one another, and I think television is the perfect tool. It seems
 that Talk Shows attempt to do this, but they're a different story, and I don't
want to offend too many people--yet.
        Other than those two shows, I can't really offer anything else, as I
don't have a tv on campus. If anyone else can give me reason to check something
 else out, I do have an open mind-really. Oh one last suggestion. Try Sesame
Street-if you really analyze it - it's fascinating! And the musical numbers are
actually marketable too-scary thought!

Peace and happy cathode ray radiation
Tori Mazur
Western COnnecticut State University
Gus Van Sant is a man with a brain to dissect and study for hours!