SCREEN-L Archives

April 2000, Week 1

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 09:53:52 -0500
Dear Ron Wilson,

Aside from the resources others have mentioned, I can cite two Cinerama
Theaters that I know of personally:

1. One in Hartford, CT that shut down (or was converted) some time ago.
It opened with some fanfare in the early 1960s.  I saw THIS IS
CINERAMA, THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM, and some others
there.  Later, I saw 2001 and WOODSTOCK there as well.  (I'm still
trying to forget that I ever saw SONG OF NORWAY!) I'm not sure, but the
1960s revival of GONE WITH THE WIND might have played there as well.
You should be able to find ads (and articles) in issues of the HARTFORD
COURANT and THE HARTFORD TIMES (which is now defunct).

2. The Uptown theater on Connecticut Avenue in Washington, D.C. was
also a Cinerama Theater.  I saw the premiere of 2001 there in 1968.

In addition, there was at least one Cinerama in the Twin Cities that
was later cut up into separate theaters.  It may have been the
Southtown Theater, which was recently razed for a Starbucks (!).  Back
issues of the Minneapolis and St. Paul papers should have advertising
info.  Also check with the MN state historical society.

Good luck with your project.

Don Larsson

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 08:30:24 -0500 Ron Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I am trying to find out information concerning the locations of Cinerama
> theatres in the United States during the 1960s.  I am working on a research
> project on roadshow presentations and their revival in the mid-1950s and
> 1960s.  I know that Cinerama theatres was one venue for 70mm presentation
> for roadshows of EL CID, SOUND OF MUSIC, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and others but,
> where specifically were they located, in which major cities, and how many
> were there?  Belton's WIDESCREEN CINEMA is a great resource but I would
> like to find more detailed info.  Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Ron Wilson
>
> ----
> Online resources for film/TV studies may be found at ScreenSite
> http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite

Donald Larsson
Minnesota State U, Mankato

--- End Forwarded Message ---