SCREEN-L Archives

May 2016, Week 5

From:
Dale Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 May 2016 09:33:23 +0400
The 19th annual Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival (FLEFF) began its yearlong exploration of Landscapes with concerts, workshops, master classes, performances, and films in March 2016. FLEFF invites submissions for its online exhibition “Interface/Landscape” and prize of USD250.

Landscapes evoke romantic notions of nature and ecology but are more frequently today are manufactured. Whether urban or suburban, manufactured landscapes are part of our environments have been engineered both to convene publics and prevent protests.

Landscapes offer a sense of security in an unstable world of recurring financial crises, wide-scale political corruption, and massive displacements of families due to wars over resources and influence. Gated communities offer temporary refuge for privileged classes. Public parks and squares offer temporary refuge for social movements. The least privileged and most vulnerable seldom appear on the horizons of awareness.

Interfaces mark boundaries between computing components and points of exchange between humans and machines. We access interfaces via hardware like touchscreens and software like apps. Interfaces are so ubiquitous and increasingly so seamless that we often forget to notice them. With the popularization of wearables, Web 3.0, and the Internet of Things, our relationships with interfaces expand from laptops and mobile devices to computers inside objects as diverse as refrigerators, automobiles, HVAC (heating, ventilation, air-conditioning) systems, clothing, and shoes.

Interfaces function like banal landscapes in our everyday lives, but they do more than frame our access to data: they interpret it, thereby determining the kinds of knowledge that we produce. We ignore them when they function perfectly, and we are aware of their power when they fail. Like geopolitical borders, interfaces only produce meaning when in use.

“Interface/Landscape” seeks submissions that use digital media to investigate how interface and landscape combine in critical and imaginative inquiry. Submissions must be accessible via digital platform but can include other components, such as mobile apps for augmented reality, or documentation of other iterations/components, such as live performance and gallery installations.

Please send submissions with 150-word synopsis, and 75-word artist bio to FLEFF Digital Curator Dale Hudson (New York University Abu Dhabi, UAE) and FLEFF Assistant Digital Curator Claudia Costa Pederson (Wichita State University, USA) at [log in to unmask] no later than 15 August 2016. The exhibition will launch in September.

For additional information on FLEFF, visit: www.ithaca.edu/fleff/. To see last year’s online exhibition, “Iterations as Habitats,” visit: www.ithaca.edu/fleff/iterations/. Projects from past editions of FLEFF appear in Thinking through Digital Media: Transnational Environments and Locative Places (Palgrave Macmillan, 2015) by Dale Hudson and Patricia R. Zimmermann.

FLEFF: A DIFFERENT ENVIRONMENT