SCREEN-L Archives

October 2005, Week 2

From:
Laura Sell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:57:35 -0400
A new look at the MGM musical and its camp appeal.*

/Incongruous Entertainment: Camp, Cultural Value, and the MGM Musical/
by Steven Cohan*

By establishing camp as central to the genre, /Incongruous
Entertainment/ provides a new way of looking at the musical. With its
behind-the-scenes history and close readings of favorite camp films, the
book will appeal to gay readers and film fans.

"Steven Cohan's scholarship is impeccable and his writing elegant and
witty. He pulls together all the previous approaches to camp and uses
them to explore the MGM musical and its stars from every angle I could
think of--and a few I would never have thought of."--Alexander Doty,
author of /Flaming Classics: Queering the Film Canon///

For more information:

http://www.dukeupress.edu/books.php3?isbn=8223-3595-6 <http://www.dukeupress.edu/books.php3?isbn=8223-3543-3>

--
Laura Sell