SCREEN-L Archives

January 2009, Week 3

From:
Avi Santo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:34:18 +0000
Hi all,

After a hiatus of nearly seven months, MediaCommons and In Media Res are back.

Our website has been redesigned and we have migrated to a Drupal platform.

And, to kick off our return, In Media Res presents a theme-week dedicated to sports and media.

http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/imr/

This week’s In Media Res line-up:

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 – Dog Battema (Western New England College) presents: “Sport from All Angles”

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 – Thomas Oates (Northern Illinois University) presents: "It's in the Game"

Thursday, January 22, 2009 – Cynthia Fuchs (George Mason University) presents: "Unsportsmanlike Call”

Friday, January 23, 2009 – Michael L. Butterworth (Bowling Green State University) presents: "Bloggers at the Gate: Buzz Bissinger's Last Stand”

Please check out these wonderful contributions and offer your thoughts via a comment.

http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/imr/

ABOUT IN MEDIA RES

In Media Res is dedicated to experimenting with collaborative, multi-modal forms of online scholarship.

Each day, a different scholar will curate a 30-second to 3-minute video clip/visual image slideshow accompanied by a 300-350-word impressionistic response.

We use the title "curator" because, like a curator in a museum, you are repurposing a media object that already exists and providing context through your commentary, which frames the object in a particular way.

The clip/comment combination are intended to both introduce the curator's work to the larger community of scholars (as well as non-academics who frequent the site) and, hopefully, encourage feedback/discussion from that community.

Theme weeks are designed to generate a networked conversation between curators. All the posts for that week will thematically overlap and the participating curators each agree to comment on one another's work.

Our goal is to promote an online dialogue amongst scholars and the public about contemporary approaches to studying media.

In Media Res  provides a forum for more immediate critical engagement with media at a pace closer to how we typically experience media

http://www.ScreenSite.org