SCREEN-L Archives

August 2021, Week 1

From:
Monica Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2021 08:58:34 -0700
To whom it may concern,
I wish to post my CFP for the 2022 SCMS conference through your listserve.
It is pasted below.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,
Monica Sandler

SCMS2022 CFP: Category Is...: The Academy Awards

The Academy Awards are one of the most globally recognized achievements in
filmmaking. This annual spectacle parades some of the biggest celebrities
and movie insiders all dressed in their finest. Back during its inception,
in 1929, the prize was partially conceived as a workers' award,
achievements for those working in film production voted on by the top
figures of the field that were supposed to make up the Academy membership.
This panel seeks to specifically consider the groups of people rewarded at
the annual ceremony. What effect do the awards have for those who win or
those who strive for recognition? Or, more simply put, what does it mean to
win an Oscar? We will explore this issue by looking at specific categories
at the ceremony. What are the broader effects of prizes like Best Actress,
Director, Costume Design, Special Effects, etc.? This panel hopes to
present new insight into the intricacies and histories of categories like
these. Our intention, however, is not to criticize the validity of whether
or not specific individuals or movie productions "deserved" to win but
rather to look at the role of the prizes within specific production
sectors. The hope, instead, will be to connect the role of merit
achievement to our understanding of creative labor in filmmaking.

Some questions we hope to examine: What is the history of the category? How
do the categories work: who votes or nominates people? What kind of work do
they frequently award, and who do they traditionally award? How does the
achievement affect career prospects? If you are interested in submitting a
proposal, please send an abstract, bio, and bibliography to Monica Sandler
and Elizabeth Castaldo Lunden at msandler27.g.ucla.edu and
[log in to unmask] by August 20*. *

Topics to consider:

- Recently added achievements

- "Technical categories" or the often forgotten about "filler" for many
watchers of the ceremony: Best Sound, Best Special Effects, Best Editing

- The impact of Academy membership policies on the awards

- The Governors Awards and Lifetime Achievements

- Academy Scientific and Technical Awards

- Gender or Racial Disparity within a sector category

- Short Subject prizes as a career building block

- Best Foreign Language Film and the effect of the category on
international cinemas or filmmakers

https://screensite.org/