SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
Pam Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 09:19:00 EST
I'm exploring some issues of active audiences and fandom, and am
particularly interested in the intersections between fandom and
tourism. I thought I would see if some of you might know of
tourist sites which owe their popularity to films or TV series.

For example, I've heard about the _Field of Dreams_ site in rural
Iowa (the baseball/corn field) which has become a pilgrimage site
(does anyone know the name of the town?). Also, I happened upon
the Whistle Stop Cafe in a small town near Macon, Georgia, this
summer, which was turned into a cafe after it was the set for one
in _Fried Green Tomatoes_, and draws tourists by the busloads (at
least it did prior to the great Georgia floods). And I'm doing
research with the folks at "Walton's Mountain" in a sleepy town
in central Virginia, which became a tourist site in spite of
itself.

Of course, there's also the celebrity-oriented tourist site, like
Graceland, Dollywood, and Twitty City (yes, Tennessee seems to
flourish on them).

Does anyone know of other such phenomena? Thanks in advance.

Pam Wilson