SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 1

From:
"Jill M. Leeper" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 14:45:42 -0500
Regarding the Nike commercial:  Are you (Paul R) talking about the one
with The Stooges "Search and Destroy" as the soundtrack?  I agree that
it's disturbing, but I see other reasons.  First, it's yet another
comidified version of a once- subversive work of art.  And though Nike's
use of "Revolution" was bothersome for the same reason, this bothers me
more, probably because I'm a gigantic fan of the Stooges and Iggy Pop.
Yet personal feelings about it aside, this song was once about Vietnam!
What does nihilism and napalm have to do with the Olympics?  And why
does Nike want their product associated with abandoned vets with "hearts
full of napalm"?  Next think you know, they'll be selling sneakers with
footage from the Oklahoma bombing, and Tim McVey as their spokesperson?!
Yet I really must conclude that this is precisely what Nike (and any
other sports-related business) is after:  sports ARE war, they're telling
us, and that shouldn't bother us at all.  Well, it bothers me.