SCREEN-L Archives

June 2010, Week 2

From:
"Andrea B. Braidt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 14:39:28 +0200
Dear Bill McCarthy,

sorry if it has been mentioned and I have overlooked it, but the TV-Set in Sirk's All that Heaven Allows is an amazing and complex commentary on gender, television, family and the tv-set as the substitute for sex.

best, andrea braidt

Am 04.06.2010 um 16:12 schrieb W. McCarthy:

> I wonder if someone would be kind enough to direct me toward any studies --
> or even mere lists of examples -- which have been made of the incorporation
> of images of a TV (and/or cinema) screen into a film's narrative -- screen
> within a screen, that is. What I have chiefly in mind are complex examples
> such as Arturo Ripstein's Así es la vida, Stone's Any Given Sunday,
> Cronenberg's Videodrome, Dassin's Dream of Passion, etc., in which the
> screen's images are somehow integral to (or make ironic comment upon) the
> on-going narrative. In Any Given Sunday, e.g., Wyler's 1959 Ben-Hur plays on
> a screen in order to produce an ironic atmosphere in a key scene. However,
> any instance, even incidental, in which a TV or film screen is incorporated
> would interest me.
>
> Gratefully,
> Bill McCarthy
>
> ----
> Screen-L is sponsored by the Telecommunication & Film Dept., the
> University of Alabama: http://www.tcf.ua.edu

	DR. ANDREA B. BRAIDT
	                        HOFBURG
	          BATTHYANYSTIEGE
	            ++43 1 4277 48426

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org