SCREEN-L Archives

November 2010, Week 1

From:
"Frank, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2010 12:52:52 -0400
i can't imagine why in the world one should NOT approach the author of an essay or book if one can . . . the whole point of this profession is to engage in productive exchange . . . book reviews are one channel for dong that, allowing X to comment on Y's work and  -- aptly - for Y to respond . . . that's how we all learn . . . and we do exactly the same thing at conferences

a list-serv is something like a low level on-going conference, for sharing and questioning ideas . . . it seems indeed the perfect place to talk to an author and pose questions about work

it's unfortunate that the defensiveness or haughtiness of some posters has made peter feel that he needed to apologize for this

mike