SCREEN-L Archives

February 1992

From:
Mashoed Bailie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1992 15:49:00 PST
I'm putting a call out for television production syllabus' and course
materials used to teach TV production at college/university level.  The
material is necessary for the completion of my dissertation, and I'd appreciate
any and all contributions.

Besides syllabus, text, and assignment materials, I would also be extremely
interested in pedagogical philosophy of instruction:  what do you see as your
goal in teaching such courses?  How is theory and practice expressed?  Where
does (if it does) aesthetics, critical theory, text analysis, etc. fit into
the course structure?  What limits your ability to develop the kinds of courses
   in video/tv you want to create?  How does the industry fit into expectations
   of
faculty/students?

Hoping that some of you have the time to explore some of these questions, and
that others may be willing to email or mail materials to me . . . .

Mashoed Bailie.
Speech Department,
Telecommunication and Film Area
University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403
(503) 346-4242

Afterthought:

I have asked my production students to keep journals for me over the last year
in the hope of finding areas of resistance and struggle represented in their
expressions.  It has been a really great learning experience, and much of the
written communication would never have made it into verbal conversation.  Has
anyone found other ways of delving into the relationships of power/knowledge;
democratic forms of pedagogical practices etc?  Do let me know.

Please reply to my email address.    Mashoed  :-)