SCREEN-L Archives

July 2016, Week 1

From:
Cynthia Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2016 14:53:39 +0000
FINAL TWO WEEKS!!!

CALL FOR PAPERS
2016 Film & History Conference:
Gods and Heretics: Figures of Power and Subversion in Film and Television
October 26-October 30, 2016
The Milwaukee Hilton
Milwaukee, WI (USA)

EXTENDED DEADLINE for abstracts: July 15, 2016

Film & History: An Interdisciplinary Journal invites abstracts for the annual Film & History Conference, to be held October 26-30, 2016, at the Hilton Milwaukee, in Milwaukee, WI (USA).

This year's theme, "Gods and Heretics," examines the nature of power and subversion as it is exercised by key figures on and off screen. What institutions or traditions or economies do these figures represent—or resist? What discourses or practices or beliefs do these figures impose—or erase? And what aesthetic and historical changes in these figures have really mattered?

Over 20 different areas, such as Rebels and Revolutionaries, Queer Sinners and Saints, Transgressive Filmmakers, Gods of War, Divine Recognition, and many more, are now accepting proposals for individual papers and full panels.

We are also delighted to welcome celebrated author and filmmaker Thulani Davis as our keynote speaker for this year's conference. A screenwriter, poet, Grammy winner, and member of the Black Writers Hall of Fame, Dr. Davis will share insights from her truly multidisciplinary career with this year's participants. For more information on Dr. Davis's work, area CFPs, and conference logistics, please visit our website: www.filmandhistory.org.

Please email conference coordinator Cynthia J. Miller with additional questions at [log in to unmask]
https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html