SCREEN-L Archives

August 2008, Week 1

From:
"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2008 22:16:51 -0500
"Rex Reed" and "bad critic" is redundant phrasing.  On a very different level, I would mention John Simon, whose occasional insights are completely overshadowed by his sheer nastiness.

On a more positive note, the critics that I do find myself turning to from time to time are mostly the usual suspects.  I appreciate the thoughtfulness of Stanley Kauffman in The New Republic and the Chicago Reader's Jonathan Rosenbaum (although he was incredibly off on Ingmar Bergman's legacy, I think).  Regionally, Rob Nelson in the Mpls-St. Paul City Pages was a shining light that was snuffed out a year ago when he was fired.  (OK, an overstatement--he's still an active critic if not a  CP regular anymore.)  It was always interesting to see letters to the editor condemning him for knowing something about films and daring audiences to think.

Pauline Kael's early collections were the first film writings that really got me to thinking about films, as well as introducing me to a lot of names and titles, no matter what she herself thought of them.  She could be extremely good at times, but I do think that her sense of self-importance grew exponentially once she started writing for The New Yorker.  David Denby is a pale shadow, but Anthony Lane may be the best critic around these days when you're looking for snarky remarks.  (My all-time favorite snarky remark came from James Agee, writing about the college musical GOOD NEWS--"Mel Torme looks like something in a jar, but is unfortuntely less quiet."  Agee's stuff for The Nation is still worth reading.  My second favorite quote was from James Wolcott when he was reviewing television and remarked of James Brolin, "He always looks surprised that people *talk* and that, when they do, they use *words*."  But I digress.)

Don Larsson

"When something is empty, fill it.  When something is full, empty it.  When you have an itch, scratch it."   --Dieter Dengler

Donald F. Larsson, Professor
English Department, Minnesota State University, Mankato
Mail: 230 Armstrong Hall, Minnesota State University
        Mankato, MN  56001