SCREEN-L Archives

August 2008, Week 1

From:
Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2008 22:19:23 -0400
Re: film critics.

I'm surprised that  no one in this discussion has drawn a distinction
between film critics and film reviewers.  The job of the film reviewer is to
tell the reader of the newspaper, magazine, or website whether the reader
should go to the movie, whether he/she is likely to enjoy it, whether it has
sex and violence, and so on. To me, a film critic is different The critic
tells me something about the movie that increases my understanding and
experience and appreciation of the film.  The critic is less or not at all
concerned with enjoyment or evaluation.

When I was reviewing movies for WGBH-TV in Boston, I tried to be critic
without being reviewer.  The letters came pouring in hollering about such an
unorthodox practice.  I ended up combining the two roles.  But most people
dealing with movies in the media today, I think, are pretty strictly
reviewers.  David Denby in *The New Yorker* is a sometime exception, as is A
O.Scott or Terence Rafferty in the *Times*

Pure reviewing seems to me a kind of ephemeral, transitory writing, not of
lasting interest.  (Does anybody remember Bosley Crowther?)  I hope for
critics but rarely find them, except in the learned journals.

                      --With warm regards,

                                   Norm
Norm Holland