I'm looking at theories on the emotional effects of screen violence for
film and TV spectators.  I've found a great deal of debate in TV studies on
such "effects."  Can anyone point me to a good overview, or specific
leading voices, in film studies on this issue?  I'm especially interested
in any application or refutation of Aristotle's ancient theory of
catharsis, as a purging/purifying/clarifying of fear and sympathy (or
terror and pity) through the watching of violent action onstage.

Mark Pizzato
Dept. of Dance and Theatre
UNC-Charlotte
Charlotte, NC 28223