I agree. There's no reason a film that takes place in present-day Cleveland, let us say, and featuring an elderly Vietnamese lesbian who murders her landlord with an axe - a Guatemalen-born drug dealer who is a former war protester uwhen he used a Jewish alias - while he is watching a re-run of The Rifleman, should not be considered a Western, if the purpose of the movie is to elecit a response of "Try this, sometime, Chuck Connors!" should not be For that reason, I'm experimenting with an >experiential approach to genre in which genres might be defined by the >sorts of responses that they are designed to elicit. So, a western would >give the spectators the feeling that they had been transported back to the >Old West. Paul B. Wiener Special Services Librarian Melville Library SUNY at Stony Brook, NY 11794 516/632-7253 fax: 516/632-7116 [log in to unmask] ---- Screen-L is sponsored by the Telecommunication & Film Dept., the University of Alabama: http://www.tcf.ua.edu