Re World War Two films, it's not my intention to get into a "best list" situation,  but to offer some ideas. It's important to discriminate among films made during the war, many of which were patriotic/propaganda pieces for the home front, and those made after the war with hindsight and usually with the box office in mind. THE LONGEST DAY is a good example of this. These days there is a longer historical perspective, leading to German movies such as STALINGRAD and DAS BOOT which show Nazi defeats rather than victories. Re American films, it's also necessary to compare those made by Hollywood between the start of the War in Europe and the bombing of Pearl Harbour (eg: BUCK PRIVATES in 1941 versus GUADALCANAL DIARY in 1943). On a personal note, I lived in London, England during World War Two, and I can remember how important and influential the cinema was during that period. This led to my setting up a course at Sheridan College in Oakville on The Cinema of World War Two, and I'd be pleased to enter into a dialogue on this subject if you so wish.