On Monday I am being interviewed about the impact of the Academy
Awards on international film production and I would like to get the
opinions of others on that point to add to my own.
I am interested in finding out more about how a
nomination for an American Academy Award (for Best Foreign
Language Film, or whatever) is viewed within the film industries of
various countries.  Any award is probably seen as desirable to a
filmmaker, but I'm trying to get at how the Academy Awards are viewed
in particular.  In the US, of course, they are very significant and a
nomination certainly contributes to the commercial success of films
screened here.  I'm wondering about the impact within the
country of a film's origin -- both for the sales of a film and the
career/reputation of a filmmaker.  Does it seem like only particular
kinds of films are eligible for such a nomination? If you have any
comments, I'd love to hear them.

Maureen Furniss
Asst. Professor, Film Studies
Chapman University