There are the "obvious" films on the American civil war such as BIRTH OF A
NATION (D. W. Griffith 1915), THE GENERAL ( Buster Keaton 1926), and GONE
WITH THE WIND (Victor Fleming 1939). At a lesser level are films such as
SANTA FE TRAIL (Michael Curtiz 1940), supposedly about John Brown trying to
free the slaves, but more of a Warner Brothers/ Errol Flynn adventure:
FRIENDLY PERSUASION (William Wyler 1956) about a Quaker family dealing with
the moral quandaries of the war: and THE HORSE SOLDIERS (John Ford 1959)
with a cavalry slant. There are many films with a civil war background
(e.g: THE BEGUILED ( Don Siegel 1971) to the obscure OPERATOR 13 (Richard
Boleslawski 1934, a "poor man's GWTW"), though how much real "history" can
be gleaned from most civil war films is open to question. There was also a
TV miniseries called THE BLUE AND THE GRAY, which may be available on
video. Anyway, good luck with your search.