>Date:    Sat, 6 Feb 1999 13:55:51 +0000
>From:    DR J J JACOBS <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Photographs and film
>
>I'm looking for examples of films or television programmes that use
>still photography as an aspect of their mise-en-scene, particularly
>those that 'energise' the photograph within the temporal continuity
>of the film (e.g. using voice-over narration).

In the Australian film PROOF (d. Jocelyn Moorhouse), about a blind
photographer and his friendships, the "decisive moment" in terms of the
movie's key themes of betrayal and trust occurs as a freeze from motion
into still photograph.

It may also be useful to you that the photographer's blindness requires
other characters to "narrate" the photographs' contents to him, which turns
into a Big Plot Device.

Kate Bowles
University of Wollongong

University of Alabama.