Lest we forget, _State Fair_, which was an abominable screen
musical more than once, was eventually made into a stage
version which went from city to city (by bus, one imagines)
until it finally (I believe) arrived on Broadway.  I don't
know the quality of the stage version, but I believe the
inimitable John Davidson was involved, so one can only
guess.

The film of _The Shop Around the Corner_, currently being
re-hashed in your local cineplex, was of course musicalized
on screen, and then a different musical stage version
appeared:  _She Loves Me_.  The film, it's worth noting, was
itself based on a play (Czech, I believe).

Sincerely,
Edward R. O'Neill
UCLA
General Education Program/Dept. of Sociology

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite