Scott Hutchins wonders:

> Chat with Bruce Sterling, one of cyberpunk's founding fathers, about his
> latest novel, DISTRACTION.  Sterling's previous novels include the
> best-selling HEAVY WEATHER and HOLY FIRE.  His latest
> novelette, TAKLAMAKAN, can be found in the October/November 1998
> issue of Asimov's Science Fiction.
>
> This sounds like he's ripping off the film by Senkichi Taniguchi starring
> Toshiro Mifune.  Does anyone know what Taklamakan means?  The Japanese
> title was Ki Gan Jo no Boken (Strange Stone Castle Adventure).

I can't say about the Taniguchi film, but the Taklamakan is the name of
a desert and means "Sea of Death."  Note the following citation:

Beijing Review July 20 1998, v41, n29, p23(2)
         Title: Exploring the 'sea of death'. (Taklamakan, Xinjiang
                   Uygur Autonomous Region, China)(China City & Country
                   Tour '98)
      Abstract: Taklamakan, Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, China
                   used to be a part of the ancient Silk Road. At present
                   it is a desert destination for adventure tourism
                   as it attracts travel enthusiasts, adventurers and
                   domestic and foreign scientists. The Keriya River
                   winds its way towards the Daryaboyi Oasis at the
                   heart of Taklamakan which literally means sea of
                   death. The ancient civilizations that thrived in
                   the area make it an excellent archaeological site.

Don Larsson

Donald Larsson
Minnesota State U, Mankato

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite