--------------------------------
34th Annual UCLA Art History Graduate Student Symposium

VIOLENT VISIONS
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

DEADLINE: Jan. 1, 1999 (postmark)

For the 1999 UCLA Art History Graduate Student Symposium, we solicit papers
dealing with the theme of violence in visual culture.  Graduate students
from all fields, within and outside of, art history are encouraged to engage
in considerations of how violence has been represented, how violent events
have influenced art's production, and/or how art itself may be a sort of
violence.  Informed by, but not limited to, a model of physical brutality,
we conceive of violence as a powerful social discourse which, when enacted,
is a display of power, and when invisible, is yet a psychically palpable
expression of dominance.  Considering violence in art historical scholarship
may thus bring up disparate images: from Classic Mayan depictions of human
sacrifice, to Robert Smithson's _Spiral Jetty_ with its affront to the
natural landscape, to Robert Mappelthorpe's sado-masochistic images both
depicting and committing assault simultaneously.

Both art and violence seem to arise from beyond the reason of logic, but yet
squarely within "human nature."  As the two meet, we expect a culturally
volatile display of power dominance, terror, and the ways in which these are
made and unmade, exposed and concealed.

Abstracts should not exceed one typed page in length, be accompanied by a
preliminary biography, and be postmarked no later than January 1, 1999.
Semi-finalists will be notified no later than January 15.  Final panelists,
selected on the basis of full-length papers, will receive formal invitation
on or around February 1 to visit the UCLA campus for the two-day event,
April 16-17.  Some funding will be available for travel.

Proposals or inquiries should be directed to:

VIOLENT VISIONS
University of California, Los Angeles
Department of Art History
Box 951417
Los Angeles, CA    90095-1417
Tel (310) 206-6905
Fax (310) 206-1903

(Sponsored by the UCLA Art History Graduate Student Association)

--- End Forwarded Message ---

Donald Larsson
Minnesota State U, Mankato

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite