Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 09:01:03 -0700
From: John Gravener <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Godzilla (bring back the rubber suit)

--------------61EB385E2B9A4529A2955274

This post will not give away the entire plot (as if there was much to
give), however, if you don't want to chance it, please avert your eyes.
Anyway, I would like to bring up several issues with the new Godzilla
film in hopes that some of you will chime in with your opinions.

1.    The film uses French atomic testing as its scapegoat.  What are
the implications of steering atomic mutations away from Americans and
other countries who tested in the South Pacific?  Like the extremely
jingoistic film INDEPENDENCE DAY, this film turns into a patriotic
diatribe.

2.    The original godzilla was a tool to protest atomic weapons on a
universal plane,, and in a sense this film does as well.  But this film
clearly does not turn into the voice against American Imperialism that
the later Japanese films did (not all of them, mind you).  In fact, this
film goes so far as to suggest (in a subliminal way) that only Americans
can destroy the beast.  Do a camparison with the original films and this
one, the tone would seem to suggest that in the prior films the Japanese
were inept while the Americans are the ones you're gonna call when you
want the job done right.

3.    This film is full of pop-cultural references:  several members
from The Simpsons cast have parts, the mayor of NYC looks like Roger
Ebert and his assistant's name is Gene (they do several thumbs-up signs
through the film), just name a couple.  Although this does not approach
the sheer campiness that the later Godzilla films exhibited, it is clear
that this film tries to be something for some people.

4.    What are the pros and cons of the design of the new Godzilla?  I
ring in with a "Hated it!"  This film ends up looking nothing more than
a rehash of Jurrasic Park and The Lost World.  I lament the overuse of
computer generation.  The older films had that certain je ne sais quois
to them, an element that this one does not have.

5.    Is Matthew Broderick forever to be playing Ferris Bueller?

Just some thoughts.  I do not even suppose that I have definitive
answers.  I hope that others will present other questions.  We are at
the dawning of the Summer blockbusters, and it looks like there are to
be a few more effect laden films in the coming (Don't even get me
started about Deep Impact).

john

--------------61EB385E2B9A4529A2955274

<HTML>
This post will not give away the entire plot (as if there was much to give),
however, if you don't want to chance it, please avert your eyes.&nbsp;
Anyway, I would like to bring up several issues with the new Godzilla film
in hopes that some of you will chime in with your opinions.

<P>1.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The film uses French atomic testing as its
 scapegoat.&nbsp;
What are the implications of steering atomic mutations away from Americans
and other countries who tested in the South Pacific?&nbsp; Like the extremely
jingoistic film INDEPENDENCE DAY, this film turns into a patriotic diatribe.

<P>2.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The original godzilla was a tool to protest atomic
weapons on a universal plane,, and in a sense this film does as well.&nbsp;
But this film clearly does not turn into the voice against American Imperialism
that the later Japanese films did (not all of them, mind you).&nbsp; In
fact, this film goes so far as to suggest (in a subliminal way) that only
Americans can destroy the beast.&nbsp; Do a camparison with the original
films and this one, the tone would seem to suggest that in the prior films
the Japanese were inept while the Americans are the ones you're gonna call
when you want the job done right.

<P>3.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; This film is full of pop-cultural references:&nbsp;
several members from <I>The Simpsons</I> cast have parts, the mayor of
NYC looks like Roger Ebert and his assistant's name is Gene (they do several
thumbs-up signs through the film), just name a couple.&nbsp; Although this
does not approach the sheer campiness that the later Godzilla films exhibited,
it is clear that this film tries to be something for some people.

<P>4.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; What are the pros and cons of the design of the
new Godzilla?&nbsp; I ring in with a "Hated it!"&nbsp; This film ends up
looking nothing more than a rehash of <I>Jurrasic Park</I> and<I> The Lost
World</I>.&nbsp; I lament the overuse of computer generation.&nbsp; The
older films had that certain je ne sais quois to them, an element that
this one does not have.

<P>5.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Is Matthew Broderick forever to be playing Ferris
Bueller?

<P>Just some thoughts.&nbsp; I do not even suppose that I have definitive
answers.&nbsp; I hope that others will present other questions.&nbsp; We
are at the dawning of the Summer blockbusters, and it looks like there
are to be a few more effect laden films in the coming (Don't even get me
started about <I>Deep Impact</I>).

<P>john</HTML>

--------------61EB385E2B9A4529A2955274--