Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 15:01:55 -0400
From: Laurence Shatkin <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: what's a film/TV broadcasting major really like?
To: [log in to unmask]

For a research study of college majors, I would appreciate your posting
this message on the SCREEN-L list.  Thank you.
What is it really like to major in film or television broadcasting?
What makes it different from being in other majors, OTHER THAN the
expected career outcomes?  When students are thinking about choosing or
changing a major, what should they know about the ones they're
considering?

Educational Testing Service is conducting a research study of the
characteristics of college majors in the United States and Canada.  If
you have experience with a two-year, four-year, or certification program
-- perhaps as an instructor, departmental administrator, or academic
advisor -- you can help this study by completing a survey.  Perhaps you
can also forward this message to one or more other people whose
expertise would be relevant to the same or another major.

You can complete the survey instrument any of these ways:

(1) Complete the on-line version of the survey by following the link at
http://www.ets.org/research/majintro.html  (If your mail reader supports
HTML, see the hotlink at the end of this message.)

(2) Go to the same Web page and follow the link to download a copy of
the survey.  Then print it, complete the paper copy, and fax it to me,
Laurence Shatkin, at 609-497-6025, or mail it to me at Mail Stop 18-R,
Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ 08541.

(3) E-mail [log in to unmask] with your snail-mail address and request one
or more paper copies of the survey instrument.  I'll send them together
with postage-paid return envelopes.

You may duplicate this survey instrument and use it to conduct research
on majors for your own purposes.  However, it is copyrighted by ETS, so
first complete the ETS Permissions Request Form -- Research, which is
linked to the Web page referred to above.  I would also appreciate your
sharing your findings with me.

The data-gathering will be concluded by the end of summer 1998, and the
results will be compiled in the autumn.  I will present a summary of my
findings on the ETS Research Web pages (http://www.ets.org/research).

If you have any questions, please send e-mail to me directly at
[log in to unmask], or phone me at 609-734-5868.

Laurence Shatkin
Development Scientist
Educational Testing Service

(If your mail reader supports HTML, you can <A
HREF="http://www.ets.org/research/majintro.html">jump right to the
survey</A>.)

Educational Testing Service