Scott Hutchins remarks:

> Lewis's books seem very writerly, with all sorts of parenthetical
remarks
> that make it difficult to get involved with thes story, though he did this
> less as it wore on.  This is one reason I have yet to see why these books
> are considered so much superior to Baum's, just because the publisher got
> the series to continue, with much inconsistency, through other authors of
> varying quality.

Aside from C.S. Lewis' reputation as teacher and scholar, the
popularity is due in some ways to his powers as a writer of Christian
apologetics, of which the Narnia series is a prime example.  Thus, he's
sanctioned and found in Christian bookstores (as are the tapes) as well
as in SF/Fantasy sections and bookstores.

I've been curious for a while about the power of some Christian groups
in promoting certain authors and/or films.  For example, when CHARIOTS
OF FIRE hit town a while back, there were many people attending who had
tickets that were provided through a church-affiliated group or school.

Don Larsson

Donald Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite