ETHNIC CLEANING!
I'm writing a term paper on 'ethnic cleaning' (not
cleansing) i.e.- the relationship between ethnicity and
the act of 'cleaning', cleaning products and their marketing
(i.e.-soap ads.)and also obviously the title is a pun on
words- the threat of European (fascist) history repeating
itself....  There are three English-speaking European films
with cleaning scenes which
comically use this link between ideas about race and
significations surroundig cleaning and cleanliness.
These are
-  Bagdad Cafe/Out of Rosenheim  (Adlon)
-  Stranger than Paradise  (Jarmusch?)
-  I was on Mars (?)

Can anybody out there think of some other films which have
distinct scenes in them where a central character is doing
some cleaning, where these distinct scenes play around with
the significations of clean,pure,white vs. otherising
equation of black with filth....?  Or any films which are
about Europe's past and constructed notions of ethnic
purity and necessary clansing?
  By studying this area I hope to problematise the idea of
race itself.
trevor barton