At 11:39 AM -0800 3/17/98, John Eno wrote:
>Over the weekend I watched Lost Highway, The Game, 12 Monkeys, Dark
>City, and Brazil. I'm really curious as to what other films have been
>made that use the idea of the main character (and therefore the
>audience) not know who he/she is or whether or not events occurring in
>"reality" (ie, the narrative of the film) are actually happening to them
>or are symptoms of insanity, brainwashing, etc. Does anyone know of any
>other films that fall anywhere near these guidelines?

You might want to consider "Last Year at Marienbad/L'Année Dernière à
Marienbad" and "Je T'Aime, JeT'Aime," both by Alain Resnais.  The latter
deals with a time travel experiment in which the human subject (and a white
mouse) becomes detached from time and keeps revisiting certain significant
moments in his life.

--Richard J. Leskosky

Richard J. Leskosky                             Office phone: (217) 244-2704
Assistant Director                      FAX: (217) 244-2223
Unit for Cinema Studies         <http://www.uiuc.edu/unit/cinema>
2117 Foreign Languages Building
707 S. Mathews Avenue
Urbana, Illinois 61801