>Date:    Fri, 27 Feb 1998 14:26:12 -0500
>From:    "Lisa R. Barry" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Gay/Lesbian TV Characters
>
>Hello All!
>
>I am attempting to compile a list of gay/lesbian/bisexual television
>characters from tv series.  It doesn't matter whether the series was a
>sit-com, drama, or whatever.  I am simply wanting a list for a class I am
>preparing to teach.  Of course I have Ellen and Soap (I think Billy
>Crystal's character was gay--or at least implied to be so, no?), but I am
>having difficulty coming up with others.  Any help or suggestions would be
>most appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Lisa :-)

More info for you:

Take a look at Vito Russo's CELLULOID CLOSET which has mentions of many
made-for-TV movies.

A few oldies off the top of my head:

1) Donna Pescow played a lesbian on ALL MY CHILDREN back in the '70s.
2) There was a lesbian cop character on HILL ST. BLUES.
3) There were gay episodes in many series' in the 70s and 80s which had a
single appearance of a gay character (ALL IN THE FAMILY, MAUDE, MEDICAL
CENTER, FAMILY, etc.)
4) There has also been a prolific history of crossdressing
characters/episodes (I have clips in my collection from LOVE AMERICAN
STYLE and DOBIE GILLIS to name just two).

For general data your best source will be the Gay and Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation (www.glaad.org).  They have extensive info about the
history of gay representation in television.

Yes, Billy Crystal's character was very much gay.  By the way, Klinger on
MASH was definitely straight and had a wife (or a girlfriend?) back home
in Toledo.

I am also ccing your query to my colleague Marla Leech who teaches a
class on this subject at SF State.

All the best,

Jenni Olson
Producer, PopcornQ

PopcornQ!  Everything you always wanted to know about queer movies, and
more!

PopcornQ is available now on the World Wide Web at
http://www.popcornq.com, and on America Online at Keyword: PopcornQ.

PlanetOut - 965 Mission St. #730 - San Francisco CA 94103
tel: 415/547-2800 x309 - fax: 415/547-2801

University of Alabama.