Nothing is more painful to anyone in the film industry than the sight of

decaying images--still or motion picture.

But can we in good conscience say that it is the "public's
responsibility"
to preserve these films?  Can't the public assume they are contributing
such efforts every time they buy a ticket to see a film?

Why can't the folks who earn huge sums from filmmaking stop coveting
their profit margins and start funding this effort? One would think
their emotional attachment alone would see them through parting with
such a relatively paltry sum.

Further, I worry that this film preservation effort is going to divert
money away from organizations, schools, artists who are involved in art
forms that are not as visible as film.

BOTTOM LINE:    Hey Scorcese...save a film...sell one of your villas.

Irene Upshur

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite