Brian,

The simple answer to your legal query is that it doesn't matter where the
copyright symbol is placed.  The entire film is copyrighted, and the symbol
and date simply gives notice of that fact.  In reality, the film would still
have copyright vested in it even if the symbol were left off the credits.
(Thus, even amateur productions are copyrighted even if the creators forget
to include the copyright symbol.)

I hope that answers your question.  Please e-mail me directly with more
information if you need clarification.

Nancy