Michael Sime wrote:

> Ok, here's one that's been drving my wife & I nuts for a couple of weeks
> now.
>
> There was a documentary about a classroom 'experiment' (in the 60's or
> early 70's I think) where one day the teacher told the students that only
> those with blond hair were 'good' and all others were bad/evil/pick your
> adjective.
>
> Then he switched sides, saying that those with blond hair were the
> evil/bad ones.
>
> As I recall, it was a facinating study on how quickly friends can become
> enemies, how the mob mentality can be created almost instantly, and how
> prejudices are formed.
>
> Now, I probably have some of the facts screwed up, but I hope that
> someone out there can recall this documentary so that maybe I can find
> with a copy of it.
>
> Thanks-
>
> Mike

> Michael Sime         <[log in to unmask]>
> Video Schmideo!      <[log in to unmask]>
>     <http://www.videoschmideo.com>
> It's not the time it takes to take the takes,
> it's the time it takes BETWEEN the takes,
> that takes the time to take the takes.
>
> ----
> To sign off SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
> in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

I have no knowledge of the particular documentary, but being a
psychologist, I know that this type of social-psychological examination
(of social perception and prejudice) used to be popular in the U.S., in
the late 50s-60s. In one experiment, highschool students were given
photographs of women and asked to sort them by order of beauty. When
another set of photographs was given to the students, this time
containing the names of the women (some of them Jewish and black), the
list of favorites suddenly changed. Women who used to be on the top of
the list suddenly fell to the bottom of the list. Researchers to be
looked up on the web are Sheriff, Seligman, Johnston etc.

Dejan (in Belgrade)

University of Alabama.