my information is that alan smithee is a generic name used to cover anyone
who has withdrawn his or her name from a project for whatever reason, don't
know how this all came about, but my son is a writer in hollywood who has
mentioned this on several occasions.
Online resources for film/TV studies may be found at ScreenSite